Complaints Procedure

At Nordoff Robbins we work hard to offer the highest quality of service to our beneficiaries, supporters, stakeholders and the general public at all times. We regularly ask people and organisations to whom we provide our services for feedback. Letting us know what works well and what doesn’t will help us to improve our services. However, we acknowledge that sometimes things do go wrong and we encourage anyone to get in touch with us to let us know so we can put things right and improve our services for the future.

Our definition of a complaint

An expression of dissatisfaction with the standard of service, actions, policy or position of Nordoff Robbins, our employees or volunteers from a third-party individual or group.

Ideally, your complaint should include:

  • What went wrong
  • When and where it happened
  • Who was involved
  • What you want from your complaint
  • Your name, address and contact details (telephone and/or email).

How do I make a complaint about music therapy services provided by Nordoff Robbins?

If something has gone wrong, we would like to sort it out straight away if we possibly can. If you are attending one of our open access centres, the best person to talk to is the music therapist you see there. If you prefer to speak to a different member of staff, you can contact the Regional Manager responsible for the area. If you are receiving our service on the site of one of our partner organisations, the relevant regional manager is also the best person to contact so that we can try to sort the issue out straight away.

East of Scotland: Janet Halton tel. 07971 877332 London
North/Central England: Oli Kluczewski tel. 020 7267 4496
London South/South East: Richard Bennett tel. 07841 997894
North West/North Wales: Sarah Denman tel. 07917 726893
North East/Yorkshire: Katy Grainger tel. 07749 820810
South West/South Wales: Fraser Simpson tel. 07834 322316
West of Scotland: Mary Brown tel. 07968 476 798

Is there a time limit for making a complaint?

It is best to tell us as soon as possible and within 12 months of the event happening or within 12 months of discovering you have cause to complain. Complaints received outside of these timescales may still be investigated if there is a reason the complaint could not be made earlier but only if it is still possible to investigate what happened.

Will my ability to receive your services be affected if I complain about your services?

No. If you make a complaint this will not affect our service to you in any way. Any information you give will be treated in confidence and with sensitivity. Information about your complaint will be kept separate from any other records to do with attendance at music therapy.

What will happen when I raise my concern?

Where possible a manager from the relevant team will answer your complaint directly within a week from the date we receive it. Where possible, we will discuss your complaint with you so that we can understand what has happened and so that we can discuss with you:

  • how long it will take us to investigate your complaint
  • what you would like to see happen as a result of your complaint
  • the way in which we will investigate your complaint
  • how you would like to receive your response – for example, by telephone or letter


The person handling the investigation and response will then provide a full response to you within 20 working days of the original receipt.

You have the right to expect:

  • your complaint to be handled promptly and efficiently
  • the process to be transparent
  • to be treated with respect at all times.

What if I’m not satisfied with your response to my concerns?

If you are not happy with our response and feel that we have not addressed your concerns, or that we have missed something, please contact us. We will see if there is anything further that we can do to resolve your complaint, and try to address any outstanding issues.

You can contact our Director of Music Services responsible for delivery and quality assurance, Oksana Zharinova-Sanderson on or 07922 003529.

What if I have a complaint about other areas of Nordoff Robbins’ activities?

If you have a complaint about our research or education activities, please contact our Director of Music Services responsible for Education and Research, Dr. Simon Procter, on or 07850 708754.

We are committed to fundraising in a way that is legal, open, honest and respectful and we recognise the importance of continuous improvement and view any complaint received as an opportunity to improve our approach and procedures. If you have a complaint about our fundraising or communications activities, please contact our Director of Fundraising and Communications Hannah Sheedy on or 020 7267 4496

If you are not happy with the result of your complaint or in the way in which it was dealt with, you can also refer the matter to the Chief Executive of Nordoff Robbins, Sandra Schembri, on or 07979 678 657.

Contacting us in writing

You can also make your complaint in writing by sending it to:

Music Services National Administrator
Nordoff Robbins
2 Lissenden Gardens

What happens if I am not satisfied?

If we are unable to resolve your complaint, you may take your complaint to the appropriate external body.

All complaints will be treated with an appropriate degree of confidentiality within our Data Protection Policy including the new regulations, and information will only be shared with staff as necessary to the investigation.